Monday, May 14, 2012

I'm Making a WEDDING CAKE!!!

It was luck that I found this opportunity and she found me. This week I worked on developing a cake and buttercream recipe with her unique flavors. I made a small 6-inch tester cake and met with the couple. The wedding is in August, a long ways from now, but I am still excited.

I am also taking this as an opportunity to buy two things I've been desiring for a long time: a second bowl for my KitchenAid and the 11 Wire Whip.
"This stainless steel whip's 11-wire design ensures that you'll get maximum volume in less time, for lighter, fluffier whipped cream, egg whites and cake batters." (Whip description)
 The second bowl will come in handy with nearly all my cake batter recipes. They work on a two part system where the egg yolks are combined with the butter/sugar mixture and the egg whites are whipped separately. Before having the second bowl, I would have to scoop out the batter into another bowl and clean the bowl thoroughly to whip the egg whites. Then I would fold the egg whites into the batter that was set aside. Now I can leave the batter in the bowl and mix the whites in another bowl, which saves time and lets me mix up the batter once more before I incorporate the egg whites.

I would have really loved to invest in a second 6qt KitchenAid, but that's really not necessary.

I dream of the floor bolted Hobart mixers...
...drool...

Await fun cake to come!